Monday, December 15, 2014

The final A-ha! It's all about how you see things...

   
flickr image courtesy of Alan Levine
     So this is my last Visual Literacy post.  And, I have to admit that it is very bittersweet to be writing this one.  I have learned much about the concept during this semester, but specifically, I have learned that it is not just about using your eyes and simply looking at the world.  I've learned that we are attracted to specific font styles more than others, and that the creators of advertisements know that fact.  I have learned that Apple designs crappy products because they are visually appealing and give the illusion of being easy and comfortable to interact with while looking cutting-edge at the same time.  About the only thing I really knew in regards to the subject of the class, was the fact that the media and our capitalist society objectifies women in a really bad way in movies and advertising.
image taken by me, no attribution necessary
   We addressed a lot of issues that I never would have felt to be a part of Visual Literacy, yet they permeate the whole notion.  For example, who would have thought that there were so many moral and ethical considerations to make when presenting or looking at photos.  As a teacher, this fact should be very important to me, because my students will be impacted by everything I show them in class, and I have to be careful to pair the right information with the right visuals.  Also, though this class is not a photography class, I will have to say that my ability to take pictures has improved.  As you can see above, I was able to frame my subject in an image that, purely by accident, demonstrates how we perceive depth by showing bookshelves extending back toward the rear wall.
     What I would ultimately like to say, is that I have learned a lot from this class...even if there was a lot of work.

No comments:

Post a Comment