Monday, December 8, 2014

Revenge of the Aha! #4 - Final moments!

flickr photo courtesy of pavel ahmed

November 3rd

     Today we examined the concept of morality in visual literacy.  To be honest, I hadn't thought of it much prior to the presentation, but now that I think about it, perhaps there should be a space for considering morality when interpreting visuals.  I understand that it is important to avoid general morally egregious visuals in society, but what about those things that skirt the boundaries.  Specifically, I would say that the objectification of women in media is a concept that certainly seems immoral or at least unethical in a lot of scenarios, but it happens constantly.  So, I'll leave you with a question after this little section: how do we determine if something is simply in poor taste, but does not violate morality or ethical presentation?

November 10th

     The TED talk today really spoke to me.  If you missed it, check it out here.  Quite often, we see the world through just one lens and we attribute single stories to people based on how we perceive them based on race, culture, ethnicity, or some other visual characteristic.  I think this TED talk speaks to the fact that we have to try to combat that aspect.  In fact, I made a separate PowToon cartoon regarding this topic and how it applies to something I observed while in my teaching field experiences.  I hope you enjoy it, and that it makes you think!

November 17th

     I had a blast when we presented our save the world project today.  I fell like all the groups did an amazing job, and I was amazed at just how much visual literacy actually ended up applying to the projects.  For example, my group had to project an image of being official - so we had to dress up.  Also, we created a darkened room to make the environment seem a little more ominous and used serious facial expressions.  I created documents that hopefully added to the authenticity of the whole thing.  Aside from that, it was amazing to see how much the other presenters took the idea of saving the world in different directions.  I think ours was the darkest!  Also, we have selected our topic for our final project.  Ours is "gluttony"  right away I'm getting pictures in my mind of food, Thanksgiving, pigs, and overall disgusting behavior.


December 1st

     Today's TED talk was about the competition between Prego and Ragu for spaghetti sauce dominance!  Sometimes we forget to think about the fact that maybe we are forcing limited decisions on people, when in reality, people crave a range of options - ones that maybe they don't even know they wanted!  This applies to visual literacy in the sense that we should perhaps provide a range of visual options when portraying how we promote our products and ourselves in society.  There is no one white person, black person, etc., etc.  Instead, we are a living embodiment of that fact that humans aren't just a group, but are individuals as well.  We all have different tastes and preferences, and we cannot keep each other down with just one label or another.  We are complex creatures that crave complexity!

No comments:

Post a Comment